• Prep time: 10 minutes + 20 minutes of sitting time
• Total time: 30 minutes + 4 hours to freeze
Yields: 8 POPSICLES
Recipe from halfbakedharvest.com
• 3/4 cup water
• 2 tablespoons dried hibiscus flowers
• 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled + finely chopped or grated for more flavor
• 1/4 cup honey, add 1-2 tablespoons more for a sweeter pop
• 1/4 cup fresh mint (you can also use basil)
• 4-5 cups fresh watermelon
• the juice of 1 lemon
Bring the water to a boil in a medium size pot. Remove from the heat and add the hibiscus flowers, ginger, honey and mint leaves. Cover and let steep for 20 minutes. Strain into a blender and discard the used hibiscus flowers, ginger and mint.
To the blender, add the the watermelon and lemon juice. Blend until smooth. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer/sieve or into a bowl lined with cheesecloth. Squeeze out all the juice and discard the watermelon pulp.
Pour the mixture among 8 popsicle molds. Place the molds in the freezer and freeze for 1 hour. Remove and insert popsicle sticks. Return to the freezer and freeze until firm, about 4 hours. To remove the popsicles run the mold under hot water for 10 seconds and then pull the popsicles out of the molds. Store in the freezer.
*I buy my dried hibiscus from Amazon.